Breakfast Smash Burgers
– 2 x 1/4 lb 80/20 patties (meatballs until smashed)
– 2 slices of deli quality cheddar cheese
– 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
– 1 hash brown patty – I used frozen 🙂
– 1 Brioche burger bun
– 2 slices of your favorite extra thick bacon (I used peppered bacon)
– Canola oil or other oil for griddle
– Parchment paper
– Burger smasher (I use the Ballistic Burger Smasher 5mm size)
See video for griddle placement and full visual setup of cooker. REMEMBER to watch your griddle during the cook. We are using coals for heat so temperature adjustments are only possible for the griddle by moving it off the coals when needed. See video for how I did it. You can slide the griddle off the heat as much as needed. I did it several times during the cook. Place oiled Drip ‘N Griddle over coals, allow it to heat. You will see smoke start once it’s almost to temp.
Cook your bacon, hash brown patty and toast your bun to your liking. Scrape griddle top to clean it and prepare for the burgers. Place (ONE AT A TIME) your patties on the griddle and smash then immediately using the smasher and parchment paper. Smash firmly and hold for a minimum of 10 seconds EACH. THIS is what will give you that sought after crust that makes a smash burger what it is. Once you see juices gathering on top of the smashed patties and browning color coming up the sides, it’s time to flip. Once flipped, place a slice of cheddar on each and allow to melt. Once melted, it’s time to build and ENJOY!